Saturday, December 15, 2012

Snow inside is the way to go

Today was my official last visit at the Family Urgent Care.  I was given my last cocktail of steroids, Benadryl,  and anti-nausea, and had my "permanent" IV piece that made a home in my arm removed.  Now I won't have to take showers with Saran Wrap anymore!

Not all of my allergic reaction has left.  It is completely gone in my every where in my upper body except in my hands.  My legs and feet however are still happily hive filled, but no new hives are forming and they no longer itch.  My Allied body has finally taken the initiative and is combating the Axis!

One interesting thing I have discovered about this allergic reactions that that when the hives leave, it is absolutely wonderful for about a day . . . they it gets fun again.  Any skin on my body that had hives, and has now lost hives is peeling off.  Great.  Just great.  I thought I got over this when the swelling went down post-surgery.  I've started taking two showers a day so I can scrub at my peeling skin, otherwise it is like an indoor snowstorm where ever I walk inside.  Kids might think that cool, but I do not.  So far my face is the worst, I could probably pass for a burn victim with the amount of indoor snow it is showing.  I would post a picture, but I just took another shower and conducted another session of scrubbing.

On a happy note, I went shopping yesterday . . . with a girl!  (Thanks Ashley!)  We made a trip to the mall where we did a missionary hunt for items that would work as head scarves.  I know for sure that between the radiation aimed at my head and the chemo that hair loss is in my future, and I am refusing to wear wigs.  If we went deer hunting we would have just come back with one that had the most impressive rack in history!  We were able to find seven different scarves, one patterned with a neutral black, another patterned with a neutral white (but with sequins:).  It was a complete success!  One our drive home we stopped at Panda Express.  We then came home, we both curled up on the sofa with our food (I had my prayer shawl as well), and watch Despicable Me.  It was a perfect girls day.

To continue to saga, I was finally able to meet with Dr. Stille (my radiologist).  I passed his physical, which did surprise me since I was covered in hives for the most part still.  However, he was very clear that he will not do any radiation therapy on me at all until my allergic reaction is completely resolved.  He also still has to have his artists make a mold of half of my face so that there is always never a doubt where to set my head during treatment.  Now that sounds cool.  I'm headed back to Dr. Stille's office on Tuesday for that mold to be made.  I hope the stuff they use to make the mold isn't cold, it is winter up here after all, so warmth would be nice.
Murphy helped
I am now off to add some of my own festive and non-traditional snow to the Christmas decorating in the house!

1 comment: