Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Insert Staples Slogan Here

One radiation treatment down, six more weeks to go!  Today I had my first radiation treatment, and to quote Staples, "that was easy".  They actually were very caring today at the radiology section of the hospital, they met me today with a counselor, which was very thoughtful.  However, the counselor seemed very confused when I told her I was happy to start treatment and ready to get going.  I have a feeling that is not something she is used to.

The treatment itself today was actually pretty boring.  They led me to the radiation room, and started to explain how everything worked.  Those people must really be used to getting some special folk back there, I had to reassure them a couple times that I was okay since I wasn't having a nervous breakdown like I think most of their radiation customers do.  Here is a picture of the radiation room that I was in:
Next they strapped me in with the help of the face mask that was made last week.  Since the radiation is being done on my face, and I am wearing a face mask, no tattoos were needed!  I was thinking that more of my head could possibly get shaved so tattoo markers could be put on, but they just made similar marks on my mask.  Booyah!  Now maybe my mohawks can get a chance to grow out to a non-mohawk point in their lives.

It only took about six or seven minutes to get me all set up, then they headed out and locked the thickest door I've ever seen to begin the actual radiation.  They did radiation at five points on my head, with nine releases of radiation.  I guess some points get extra-special treatment.  They will be doing the radiation at these points for my full six weeks of treatment.  My eyes were closed the whole time since my face mask fits so tight, but this was still a load better than putting up with an MRI.  It took them about twenty minutes to do the radiation (I got to rock out to Beetles music while they did this), then they came in to release me.  The mask left lovely scale marks on my face that were almost as good as the ones it left when the mask was created.  I managed to get a picture of the thick radiation door on my way out:
I left feeling . . . normal.  Wasn't tired, wasn't sick to my stomach, wasn't dizzy; just . . . normal.  I am very much hoping that this feeling continues through my whole treatment.  I asked Dr. Stille about it, and he said "It is different for every patient".  It was a well given indecisive answer.  

I have two more radiation treatments this week, followed by the weekend off.  Yeah!  My official start of chemotherapy is January 3rd with Dr. Wagner (excuse me, his identical twin) next week.  Let my radiation and chemo treatment commence!  (Pomp and Circumstance would be good music here)

No comments:

Post a Comment