Sunday, November 25, 2012

I don't know the Wizard of Oz very well . . .

Time to make my first entry now that I am officially home and out of the hospital.  I never thought I would appreciate home so much!  I mean, don't get me wrong, I always loved coming home to our house, but now I come home to showers, real food, and incredible friends and family.

One big adventure that I was looking forward to was washing my hair for the first time.  I was told by Dr. O that I could do it as long as I kept the staples as dry as I could.  That is what Moms are for.  So, much like a child, I was ushered over to a water filled kitchen sink to have my hair scrubbed.  Through this washing we did discover that all twenty staples are perfectly straight, except for three at the end of the staple line.  Maybe they were done by my very exuberant anesthesiologist.

Mom brushing out my hair after the washing
 On that note, I am also going to quit my teaching career.  Now that I've gotten a good look at the staples on my head, I realize that those staples look remarkably like that staples I use to hold together work in my classroom.  I am going to begin reselling those staples in my classroom to doctors in order to make a couple million bucks.  Maybe I'll even offer to staple them in a straight line for small fee.  

We also discovered through inspection of my staples by a nurse before I left the hospital that some men are just . . . wimps.  My friend Jessi (who is pregnant none the less) leaned over to take pictures and document what it looked like; her husband left the room because he was feeling queasy.  Our friend Nick left the room only to lose consciousness next to the nurses' station.  Apparently us ladies are tougher when it comes to blood and guts.


2 comments:

  1. Love your descriptions Shannon! Thank you for the updates, the pictures, the way you share your journey. I admire your strength and courage and keep you in my prayers constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hip hooray for moms. I am so glad your mother is with you. How long will she be there? Enjoy your time together.

    ReplyDelete