Friday, May 10, 2013

Mars Here I Come!

I think I would live a lot better on Mars.  I've got to be allergic to less stuff there then here on Earth.  To make a long story short, I've broken out in hives . . . again.

Last time I broke out (after a couple ER visits, Epi-pens, and IVs full of Benadryl and adrenaline), it was due to one of the two anti-seizure prescriptions that I was on.  That was Dilantin, and I believe that drug is evil incarnate after itching non-stop for a month.  This time it is my other anti-seizure that they kept me on since I showed no ill effects initially.  Here is a report of the events that have led up to my new disdain of Keppra:

Sunday - Managed to get a sunburn on the back of my neck.  Put some aloe vera on it, all was good.

Tuesday - The sunburn no longer hurt, but was beginning to itch.  I thought that it was just because it was such a bad burn.

Wednesday - Rock notices that there are bumps where the sunburn is healing, and that there are bumps where there was not a sunburn originally.

Thursday - Bumps/hives have now covered the entire back of my neck and shoulders.  It itches A LOT.

Friday - Wake up, only to find that the size of my hive area has doubled.  Time to contact the doctors.

I went off right after I got off work to see the docs, and their conclusion was that my Keppra was the blame.  First, the Keppra prescription makes some people more sensitive to sunlight.  Strike one.  Next, it was noticed on my Keppra prescription bottle the label of:  "This is the same medication you have been getting.  Color, size, or shape may appear differently".  Strike two.  Last, when they asked the date that I started this "new" Keppra, it happened to be the day before I got my bad sunburn that started the whole mess.  Strike three.  The docs decided to take me off the Keppra I was on (Levetiracetam Cambe), and put me back on the Keppra I was taking (Levetiracetam Lupin).  My next mission?  Finding a pharmacy that still had a stock of my Keppra/Lupin.  This is when imagining some James Bond music helps relive the adventure.

After visiting my original pharmacy, Rock and I discovered that they did not have the old version of my Keppra prescription.  Their suggestion?  Call up other pharmacies until I find one that does.  After calling up five pharmacies, mostly leaving messages, we received a call back from one of them.  It was there!  We drove out, and I let them know my "new" prescription for my "old" Keppra/Lupin medication.  It took them an hour to fill it.  A full hour!!  Apparently the other pharmacy that my prescription was originally at took their time faxing over a copy of it.  If nothing else it was nice to sit in air conditioning for awhile and find a couple types of anti-itch cream.

So, I now have the prescription of Keppra that I am not allergic to.  If my hives spread any more I get to have the duty of heading back to the doctors to try and figure out something else on Monday.  

On a much happier note, I've decided to stop shaving my head.  The hives that popped up stopped me from shaving it this week, so I'm just going to continue doing so.  There is still a section on the left side of my head that is being stubborn and not doing any regrowth, but the rest of my head seems happy.  If all else fails I'll do a epic comb-over or shave my head (you can thank the school secretary for this idea :) like Miley Cyrus.  This could be the next big look!   



Don't worry, I don't plan on doing the Britney Spears hair style when she shaved.  Even I'm not that crazy. . . yet :)

1 comment:

  1. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete