Sunday, March 10, 2013

My New Best Friend? Anti-Itch Cream!

I've survived my first week back at work!  Don't get me wrong, it wasn't like it was a walk in the park, but I'm back and and I'm back for good.  With everything going on at the school it was more than a little crazy the first couple days, but with any luck there is no other place to go but up (knock on wood)!

The big news this coming week is that I am going to be starting my next round of chemo as of Monday evening.  It is only going to be a week long, so in theory it shouldn't affect my body as much as my six week stint of chemo did.  The big difference this time is that while I am only taking this round of chemo for a week, it will be twice as strong as my last daily dosage.  Ouch.  Dr. Wagner is not predicting that this will affect my immune system to any problematic level since my immune system kicked-some-behinds (in a good way) during my six weeks, all that he said could be bad is nausea.  Before I was able to just take one anti-nausea pill, and it would last me all day, and my only issues would be oddball ones (ex. blueberries).  I am planning on upping any anti-nausea drug up to "two a day" without an experimental "one a day"  this week.  I am also considering adding a new rule to my classroom of no more blueberries within my presence. ;)

This next week I also have another CT Scan on Thursday with Dr. Stilles.  The only goal of this CT scan is to look at my brain and check to see that appropriate repair within my brain has taken place since my last set of radiation four weeks ago.  I had a MRI a couple weeks ago that showed awesome improvement post-brain surgery, so I do not see any upcoming problems from the data that will be collected on Thursday.  The only annoying thing about this is that the latest the radiology department at the hospital could make my appointment was 4:00 pm, so I'm going to have to leave school just after the kids and try not to get stuck behind a logging truck or some quirky person who doesn't believe in going over 50 mph on a
70 mph highway.  My odds of avoiding those vehicles are probably a lot smaller than the odds were of me making it out of brain surgery in November 100% okay.  

On another happy note, my hair is beginning to show some more growth.  The only areas that are growing are still just the couple areas where I did not lose hair during radiation, but the rate of growth has certainly increased.  I now have to shave my had twice a week to keep my "Mr. T" patch to a short length. Except for my Mr. T patch, I do not have any new hair coming in, but I think I might be enjoying that for now, because I am now learning how growing hair on your scalp patches itches like no tomorrow.  Anti-itch cream here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment