Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thursdays Can Be as Happy as Fridays

The whole point of the blog post today is to share the list of happy news that has recently occurred and been verified!  Here is the list of "Happy News":

1.  My younger sister (Jaclyn) and her husband (Adam) who live down in Denton, TX (just North of Dallas) are expecting their first child!  Since there is still some doubt as to whether I will be able to have children after everything that has happened, this means that my husband and I are very willing to become a obnoxious and spoiling aunt and uncle.  We have already decided that we will make sure to send them those annoying gifts that the child loves, but make extra noise, have multiple lights, run through batteries like no tomorrow, and have special assembly requirements.  With any luck, after a couple years time when my husband and I can begin to relax after my James Dean tumor decides not to return, we can look into our own child options.

2.  Tuesday next week will be my last day of radiation, and the last day of this first round of chemo!  From this point onward, for at least the next six months, I'll have four weeks "off" and then a week "on" of chemo.  The first week I'm back on chemo will be the second week in March, and they plan at having me at twice the dosage I've been at the last six weeks.  Depending on how that week goes, my next chemo (four weeks later) will be at triple my original dosage.  I think that my anti-nausea medication will become my new best friend.

3.  I'll be returning back to Marion School to first the first Monday in March; March 4th!  My immune system is doing a lot better than average chemo patients, so I did ask Dr. Wagner at my last appointment if I could return sooner, but after some thought he said that I could return sooner if I wished, but recommended against it since the flu is still out and about.  Darn!  He also did let me know that he was pretty sure that it would be okay for me to continue to teach during my future week-long chemo treatments since my immune system did so well over the six weeks of chemo.  He did let me know that increased nausea might become more of a problem since it would be a higher dosage, so the second week in March was going to end up being the "experimental" week.  I'll be thinking a lot of happy-tummy thoughts that week!  

4.  My husband considers this happy news:  I now sneeze out of my nose.  Apparently how I sneezed before surgery (out of my mouth) was wrong and gross in his opinion. So, I still cannot move one of my eyebrows, but can sneeze correctly . . . while rolling my eyes at my husband.      

2 comments:

  1. If you decide to come back March 4th, think hard about it. It's been like a plague ship at school, people are dropping like flies.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I wanted to come back the last week in February, but am holding off until March based on the doc's advice. At the start of March my immune system should be back almost to normal if not normal based on it's already better-than-average response.

      Delete